Wednesday, June 22, 2005

My Seventh Joe Cain Day Parade

I was looking through some old pictures and found these. This is from the Joe Cain Day parade when I was six years old. I have been parading in this parade since I was 2 weeks old so this was my seventh parade in this organization. How many people have paraded in more that 65 Mardi Gras parades before the age of 35? Please I want to know leave a comment. I had my picture in the paper the first time I ever paraded with a caption 'Mobile's youngest reveler'. My love and dedication to Mardi Gras has not diminished since that day.

Back then the parade ended with a celebration and picnic in the Church Street Graveyard. It was that way for many years until some people started complaining. I have so many wonderful memories of Joe Cain back then. Oh and I am officially a charter member of the Joe Cain Society and have the certificate to prove it.

In the early day their were tons of people that walked in the parade. We walked every year. I love walking in that parade because you are right there with the crowds of people and you can interact with them more. Years later after my dad became the emblem, Chief Slacabamarinico, we rode in the wagon leading the parade. Even then some years I would roller skate behind the wagon or get on and off the wagon during the parade. In recent years I decided to start walking again.

Anyway, here are the pics I thought they were neat. The other people in the pictures are my mom and dad and my sister is in the stroller. She was a about a year old. In the picnic picture my Aunt Liss who passed away last year was with us.



No comments: